Friday, January 28, 2011

Diaper Cake!

I was honored to be one of the hostesses for my best friend’s baby shower.  Since this was her second baby and it was also going to be a baby boy she decided she really didn’t need that many baby items.  So her two sisters and I decided to throw her a diaper and wipes shower.  I am the crafty one of the hostesses so I was in charge of centerpieces.  We quickly decided on diaper cakes, even though I had never made one.  I thought, how hard could they be?    I soon learned that not only are they not hard to make, there is a lot of room for errors and mistakes!  That’s my kind of craft. 
I went to my go to site to search for ideas:OnePrettyThing
Once there I looked through the different ways to make the cakes and settled on this version made by :Little Pink Dollhouse.  I basically did her tutorial with a few modifications.  I wanted wider layers since they were going to be centerpieces so I replaced the bottles on the bottom and middle layer with rolls of toilet paper.  This also made the cakes stackable and so much easier to transport.  The top layer is all diapers wrapped around a stuffed animal. 
Since my best friend had decided on a safari theme it was easy to pick the ribbon and the animals.  I even decorated a wipes box to match the theme.  Without further ado, here are the finished cakes.  Sorry there are no assembly pictures but I wasn’t really blogging when I made these. 
This cute alligator was my favorite.  He is so squishy
Alligator
The monkey is a rattle!
monkey
This giraffe was a favorite at the shower. 
giraffe
So, if you are planning a baby shower I highly recommend making a diaper cake.  So cute and useful since all the diapers can be used when baby gets here. 

No comments: